Once Upon A Time

When Eleanor Clairmont runs from her stepmother's cruelty for the third time, she has just two things in mind; getting a better life for her and her step sister, and reuniting with a man she met the last time she ran away. While she quickly succeeds with the former, the latter is not so easy, with a potentially devastating war looming over the horizon. Eventually living a double life and trying desperately to hide her past that holds the key to her happily-ever-after, Eleanor and her search for freedom and true love sets off a chain of events that hold the possibility of saving the kingdom, or tearing it, and the Almirisian Royal Family, apart.

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Unexpected.

Unexpected



During the months following the Queen's death, James's squire Selven was knighted by the King, and decided to spend his time defending the Southern Border of Almiris from the hostile and greedy King of Bovia. King George had long had his eyes on the vast resources and wealth of Almiris, and with King Hubert distraught over his beloved wife's death, George felt that he had an easy target.





The looming threat of King George was one of the reasons that King Hubert was so eager to gain an alliance with King Edward. Almiris may have been large in area and population, but its army was nothing compared to Bovia; its army one million strong. Hubert had unwittingly allowed himself to believe that Almiris was so stable that having a standing army, much less a large one, was an unnecessary expenditure. Each town and city had its volunteer militia, but even those only equaled about four hundred thousand men and women. They didn't stand a chance against King George's forces, professional soldiers who had been fighting a war with the Kingdom of Esmea for the last ten years.

Soluna, on the other hand, had a very large standing army, nearly rivaling that of King George. If Soluna and Almiris were joined by a royal marriage, their combined forces would be able to easily defeat King George and his army. 
  
King Hubert immediately invited King Edward and Princess Katherine to the castle, and extended an invitation to the annual Yule Ball to Katherine, knowing that her father had to return to his kingdom soon after the royal introduction to rule his own kingdom. 

Prince James, however, was not very open to the idea. 

"This is exactly what I was afraid of." James vented.

Selven, having left for four months to fight King George, had returned the instant James told him what had happened concerning Princess Katherine. He wanted to be there to support his best friend, but also knew that he couldn't stay for more than a week. His general was so impressed with his performance that he'd been promoted to a lieutenant and been given command of a modestly sized legion. He had to return soon to lead them. 

"I do not want to be married for political gains, no matter how good of a queen Katherine might make or how much we need King Edward's help. I haven't even met her!"

Selven sighed while he listened to the aggravated Prince. "I don't know what to tell you." 

"Why can't my father just come to his senses and simply ask King Edward for his help, without having to drag a marriage between Katherine and I into it? I can't spend the rest of my life with someone I don't love."

"You're still thinking about Elle, aren't you?" Selven deduced. 

James nodded. "I can't get her out of my head. She reminds me so much of Eleanor, but no one has heard from her in ten years." he lamented.

"Perhaps, once you meet Katherine, you should tell her about your feelings for Elle." Selven advised.

James balked at him. "Are you mental? I can't tell my bride-to-be that I'm in love with another woman. I haven't even seen her since that day at the inn."

"Have you looked for her?" 

"Of course I have, but she left the inn shortly after we did and hasn't returned. It seems she doesn't want to be found.


A glistening carriage pulled up to the royal palace. A footman jumped off back of it and opened the door, helping the princess out. The castle steward escorted her inside.

James stood in the throne room, waiting for her.  James looked upon Katherine as she stepped gracefully into the castle. Her light skin was sun-kissed and she possessed brown-black lockes pent up into an intricate bun on top of her head. She had lovely green eyes as well, setting off the embroidered green gown she wore. Although Katherine adorned herself with many jewels, James had to admit it; Princess Katherine of Soluna was quite beautiful.  

James kissed Katherine's fair hand in greeting. "It is a pleasure to meet you Princess." James's tone was cordial and polite. 

"Likewise, Prince James." Her voice shimmered like a bell. James had no doubt that she could also sing beautifully.
  photo snapshot_820a076c_e4037cc9_zpsoz2pkcya.jpg
"Allow me to escort you to your room, Princess Katherine." James said, offering his arm.

He led her through the vast halls of the castle to one of the many guest chambers. He opened the door and ushered her in, before going on his way. She stopped instantly.


On the nightstand by the sturdy canopied bed sat a small silver figurine of a graceful dragon. She looked at and thought. "How did he know?"

As she looked out the window of her new room which reminded her so much of her home, she remembered something that he'd told her: "I know that I may seem a little distant, but I do want you to be happy here, Katherine." photo snapshot_820a076c_c4038089_zpsblw1vdnm.jpg

As the day passed, snow slowly blanketing the ground in a mantle of white, Katherine, lacking a lady-in-waiting, tried her best to manage on her own, but it was becoming difficult. Removing herself from her tight gown, even to change for bed, was prpvinh impossible, and how could she managed the months until the engagement Ball and thier wedding? She needed a lady-in-waiting. Her own lady-in-waiting had been in confinement when they left, and was rendered unable to accompany Katherine.

Katherine called Elizaveta to her chamber. The Head of House opened the door, responding to Katherine's invitation.  Katherine was sitting on her bed leisurely reading a book. "You called, your highness?"

Katherine looked up, laying her book on the night table and getting off the bed. "I am in need of a Lady-in-Waiting. My own wss indisposed and unable to accompany me." 

Elizaveta thought for a minute. "Yes. A new maid just began working here a few weeks ago. Her name is Margarete. Would you like me to send for her?"

Katherine smiled. "Please do."

Soon thereafter, Elle slowly entered the room. "Your highness?" 

"Yes?" Katherine answered, looking out her window. 

"I'm Margarete. Elizaveta told me that you requested me to be your Lady-in-Waiting." 

Katherine turned and appraised the young girl. She'd heard that red hair in this kingdom meant nobility, but she didn't push the issue. Margarete seemed both graceful and intelligent as she curtsied for the princess and that was a highly suitable combination for Katherine.

"There is no need for that, Margarete." Katherine said. She looked over Elle's servant dress. "Let's find you something more suitable." 

 photo snapshot_820a076c_840383a4_zps9jikaqlz.jpg

Elle emerged from Katherine's chamber in a crisp and elegant gown. She was well aware that Katherine was meant to marry the Prince, but that didn't matter to her. She had procured the better life for her and her sister that she'd wanted. When Katherine was Queen Elle would ask her to promote Flora to a courtier. The sisters would be secure in their future and be out of danger from their mother.

As Elle exited Katherine's chamber, she noticed the Prince leaning against the wall, presumably thinking. She hastily curtsied to the Prince, come to fetch Katherine for dinner. 


 photo 689a920f-6619-4702-bbd9-3c9d3b5415dc_zpsr8yhtmf6.png

Elle did not recognize the blond haired Prince for who he was, the man who'd stolen her heart. James did, but he shook his head as she walked away, resigned. It couldn't possibly be her; the woman whom he'd been searching for for months couldn't possibly be his his fiance's lady-in-waiting.


I don't know when I'll get the next chapter up since I leave for college on Saturday. I'll try and get one up as soon as I can, but not for two weeks at the very least.

Till next time!

Sophie. 

_________________________________________________

Just some concept pictures. Revenge of the clipping!
  photo snapshot_820a076c_84038808_zpsin8kqmv4.jpg

 photo snapshot_820a076c_040387ef_zps4g1brfcl.jpg photo snapshot_820a076c_44038862_zpsafvcr8pk.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment